This is a conversation with Anna Malaika Tubbs, author of the book “The Three Mothers: How the Mothers of Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X and James Baldwin Shaped a Nation.”
What we talked about:
- The lives of Berdis Baldwin, Louise Little and Alberta King and why their stories matter
- Anna becoming a mother while writing a book about black motherhood
- Their famous sons – James Baldwin, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr – eclipsing their own lives
- Contextualizing their lives an the long history of violence against black women
- The role of religion in their lives
- Righteous Discontent: The Women’s Movement in the Black Baptist Church, 1880–1920 by Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham
- We Live for the We: The Political Power of Black Motherhood by Dani McClain
- In Search of Our Mothers’ Gardens by Alice Walker
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett
Patreon is for monthly/yearly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!