In light of the genocidal onslaught against Palestinians in Gaza following the October 7th Hamas attack, we’ve decided to re-release an old episode on Hamas, Gaza, and Palestine-Israel. In this episode from June 2021 (episode 83), Joey interviews Tareq Baconi, author of the book “Hamas Contained: The Rise and Pacification of Palestinian Resistance” published in 2018. Baconi meticulously outlines the nature of Israel’s blockade on Gaza, the various aspects of Palestinian resistance to ongoing occupation, and contextualizes Hamas’s role, structure, and motives within this wider social and political struggle.
The audio is remastered and includes a new introduction by Joey that situates this conversation in the post Oct 7th reality.
You can support The Fire These Times on Patreon with a monthly or yearly donation and get a lot of perks including early access, exclusive videos, monthly hangouts, access to the book club, merch and more.
List of Topics Discussed
- How Hamas is often talked about
- Contextualising Hamas in recent and ongoing uprisings
- Hamas and popular protests
- The Great Return March
- Hamas and Israel
- Western hypocrisy on Palestinian democracy, with a focus on the EU and the US
- Hamas-Fatah relations
- The horrific costs of the Israeli blockade of Gaza
- How the Israeli state views Hamas
- Hamas breaking out of its ‘cage’
- Does it matter who wins at the Israeli elections?
- The PA losing legitimacy
- Hamas’ authoritarianism in Gaza
- Hamas as a democratic movement
- Difference between party and government in Gaza
- Moving beyond the framework of partition and into colonial and apartheid frameworks
- Hamas and Civil Society in Gaza: Engaging the Islamist Social Sector by Sara Roy
- Hamas: A Beginner’s Guide by Khaled Hroub
- Decolonizing Palestine: Hamas between the Anticolonial and the Postcolonial by Somdeep Sen
Where to listen
This episode is available on all podcast apps: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, Breaker, Amazon Music, Audible, Stitcher, Radio Public, Pocket Casts, Castro and RSS. Just type in ‘The Fire These Times’ and you can subscribe directly there.
How to Support
The Fire These Times is independent and supported by our community of listeners. With even a small amount of $2 a month, you can help keep this project alive and expand into video essays, public panels, newsletters and more.
The best way to do so is through Patreon, which will also give you early access to our episodes, exclusive video episodes, merchandise, monthly hangouts, access to the upcoming book club and more.
You can also support through one-time donations on By Me A Coffee
- You can follow The Fire These Times on: Website | Bluesky | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Substack
- You can follow Joey on: Website | Instagram | Bluesky | Mastodon, or reach out to him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org