Joey is joined by Leila Al-Shami, British-Syrian activist and co-author of Burning Country: Syrians in Revolution and War, Romeo Kokriatski, Ukrainian-American managing editor of The New Voice of Ukraine and co-host of the Ukraine Without Hype podcast, and Dana El Kurd, Palestinian-American assistant professor in the department of political science at the University of Richmond to talk about an essay the four of us wrote.
The essay, “A view of anti-imperialism from the periphery,” was published by the south/south movement as part of their south/south dialogues: Beyond the colonial vortex of the ‘West’: Subverting non-western imperialisms before and after 24 February 2022. I recommend giving it a read before listening, but this is not necessary.
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Too Like the Lightning Book I by Ada Palmer
- Commons journal, including the interviews with Joey Ayoub and Dana El Kurd
- Sumoud-Washing: A Queer-Feminist Analysis of the Syrian and Palestinian Struggle for Liberation by Nayrouz Abu Hatoum and Razan Ghazzawi
Where to listen
All episodes are first released on Patreon, and you can get them on your Podcast feed by copy-pasting the RSS that appears at the bottom of your page when you join (here’s how) as soon as they’re up. Patreons get episodes anywhere from weeks to days in advance.
The conversation is available on any podcast app such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, Breaker, Amazon Music, Audible, Stitcher, Radio Public, Pocket Casts, Castro and RSS. Just type in ‘The Fire These Times’ and you can subscribe directly there.
It is also on YouTube. At the moment the YouTube page is not being updated but it will be in the near future.
How to Support
The Fire These Times is independent. Since March 2020, I’ve produced weekly episodes averaging anywhere from 60 to 110 minutes.
With a small amount donated monthly or yearly, you can help expand this project into video essays, public panels, newsletters and more. I also wish to release episodes twice a week. Your support can be for as little as $2 or $5 a month or $20 or $50 a year, which is what most people contribute.
The best way to do so is through Patreon, which will also give you early access to audio episodes, exclusive video episodes, merchandise, monthly hangouts, access to the upcoming book club and more.
- You can follow The Fire These Times on: Website | Bluesky | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Substack
- You can follow Joey on: Website | Instagram | Bluesky | Mastodon, or reach out to him via email at email@example.com
- You can follow Leila on: Website | Twitter | Bluesky | Mastodon
- You can follow Romeo on: Twitter | Bluesky
- You can follow Dana on: Website | Bluesky | Twitter