This is a conversation with Peter Pomerantsev. He’s a Soviet-born British writer and the author of two books: Nothing is True and Everything is Possible and This is Not Propaganda. He also runs the research initiative Arena based at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), an innovative programme dedicated to overcoming the challenges of disinformation.
Topics discussed: Russian disinformation on Ukraine and Syria; the Brexit campaign; the Trump presidency; Maria Ressa’s conviction in the Philippines; missed opportunities of Ukrainian-Syrian solidarity; 1990s Russia and the rise of Putin; pop-up populism; and how to deal with disinformation while being mindful of censorship fears.
- Pop-Up People
- The Mechanics of Russia’s Information War
- On the Politics of Feeling
- In Politics and Prose: “Nothing is True and Everything is Possible”
- Adventures in the War on Reality
- What are post-truth politics?
- Peter Pomerantsev interview on “This is not propaganda”, disinformation and fake new HQ
- Peter Pomerantsev on Disinformation in the Modern Age
- Rappler Talk: Peter Pomerantsev on Facebook, truth, and the crisis of democracy
- Peter Pomerantsev: From Information to Disinformation Age – Russia and the Future of Propaganda Wars
You can follow the podcast on Twitter @FireTheseTimes.
If you like what I do, please consider supporting this project with only 1$ a month on Patreon or on BuyMeACoffee.com. You can also do so directly on PayPal if you prefer.
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you cannot donate you can still help by reviewing this podcast on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
The Fire These Times is available on Apple Podcasts, Anchor, Breaker, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Radio Public, Spotify, Pocket Casts, Castro and RSS.
If it is not available wherever you get your podcasts, please drop me a message!
Music by Tarabeat. Photo by Elijah O’Donnell on Unsplash, modified for this episode.
Leave a Reply