Ayman Makarem is joined by two Sudanese commentators, Raga Makawi and Dallia Abdelmoniem, to talk about the war in Sudan. Both guests talk at length about the situation as well as the political, economic, and revolutionary context it exists within. This intimate discussion explores the many ways Sudanese people are reflecting on and struggling against the current war situation. With little to no international attention, these voices are vital to listen to and learn from.
- Economy and Class in Sudan – O’Brien, O’Neil (https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Class-Sudan-Norman-ONeill/dp/0566056046)
- Beats of the Antanov (https://www.pbs.org/pov/films/beatsoftheantonov/)
- You Will Die at Twenty (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/08/you-will-die-at-twenty-review-sudan?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other)
- Sudan Music Playlist (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX15iTqq2X8NE)
Where to listen
All episodes are first released on our Patreon and you can get them on your Podcast feed by copy-pasting the RSS that appears at the bottom of your page when you join (here’s how) as soon as they’re up.
How to Support
The Fire These Times is independent and supported by our community of listeners. With even a small amount of $2 a month, you can help keep this project alive and expand into video essays, public panels, newsletters and more.
The best way to do so is through Patreon, which will also give you early access to our episodes, exclusive video episodes, merchandise, monthly hangouts, access to the upcoming book club and more.
You can also support through one-time donations on: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/joeyayoub
- You can follow The Fire These Times on: Bluesky | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Substack
- You can follow Joey on: Website | Instagram | Bluesky | Mastodon, or reach out to him via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can follow Raga on: Twitter
- You can follow Dalia on: Twitter | Instagram